"wireless disabled in software"

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 18 22:04:44 UTC 2011

Craig White wrote:

> seems as if your manual configuration attempts are interfering with the
> GUI since at the point where you left-click on wlan0, it should do the
> equivalent to a iwlist scan command and list the available wireless
> networks (whether AP's or Ad-Hoc) - at least it does for me.

As I said, the effect of left-clicking on the NM icon,
and then left-clicking on wlan0,
is to re-start the connection.

I don't see how anything I've done could possibly affect the GUI.
(All I did at one point was to put the opendns entries in resolv.conf .)

There is another oddity in my NM: the time of "Last use" given
if I go to Manage Connections seems to be random.
Sometimes it says Never, even if I am using it at that moment.
At the moment it say One minute,
at other times it says No minutes.

According to "NetworkManager --version" I'm running NM-0.9.0-1.fc15.

You didn't say if you were using KDE or Gnome (or something else).
I have the impression kdenetwork used to give more information,
but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net