LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Sep 19 02:36:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 12:35 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 12:16 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > That said, I mostly find GNOME 3 usable on my laptop and acceptable on
> > my desktop.  Not nearly perfect yet, but usable.
>
> The first sentence sounds like a remarkably tepid acceptance, but the
> two together suggest that you find it good enough for your purposes that
> you're not interested in changing your DE.  If so, I'm glad for you.

I'm willing to see how things develop.  This is a phase of the project
where developments will come quickly and may improve the user experience
dramatically.  I'm not frustrated enough to bolt at this point, and I
think the trajectory is positive.

Reading through the introduction at gnome.org and some other basic
resources made the transition simpler than it would have been otherwise.

> However, judging by the responses to this thread, you may be in the
> minority.  (Of course, it might just be that only those of us who either
> tried it and disliked it or migrated preemptively are participating in
> this conversation.)

I think that's likely.  I also note that several people have chimed in
recently with a more positive take.

> Again, I'd like to point out that this just demonstrates one of the
> biggest strengths of Linux: if you don't like the direction your DE is
> going in, you're free to change.

Absolutely!
--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences