Bug in system-config-firewall ?

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 19:28:55 UTC 2011

On 09/19/2011 10:44 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM, JB<jb.1234abcd at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> linux guy<linuxguy123<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>>

>>> I found a work around.  Instead of entering port 22 as a "Trusted Port", enter
>> it manually as an "Other Port".What is it with Linux (ie Fedora, Ubuntu, etc)
>> and firewall managers ?  Firestarter was crap for years and now we have this ?I
>> think I know why Samba wasn't working when I set it up last week.  I spent at
>> least a day working on it.  I never thought to run nmap.  Live, pay and learn.LG

I just tried and there is a problem. Something is blocking the execution
of the service restart sometimes and I am not sure what it is. I have to
make further tests to verify it.

>> The workaround is just that. But you should investigate it more.
>>
>> I am on F14 - opened port 22 via GUI firewall, applied it, and a new rule
>> showed up in config file and in iptables. Then I rebooted and all was as
>> expected.
>> You should test it on your F? distro as well and expect it to be OK.

There is no difference in enabling a service and adding a port manually
for system-config-firewall. This does not make sense for me.

> I ran into a similar issue on my wife's laptop from a clean install of
> F15. I opened up CUPS (621?) using s-c-f but it did not work. I added
> it manually.
>
> I haven't had a chance to see what it takes to reproduce the problem
> since everything but my MythTV box is already upgraded, but from this
> thread it looks like it's a real bug.
>
> Richard

Thomas

--
Thomas Woerner
Software Engineer            Phone: +49-711-96437-310