CentOS-6 by PXEboot?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 23 06:36:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 08:11 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> On 23/09/2011 04:29, Craig White wrote:
> > CentOS only recently got out the 6.0 release and RHEL 6.1 has actually
> > been out for quite a while. The question is, why would anyone actually
> > install CentOS 6 because they are running 9+ months behind and haven't
> > actually packaged a single security update yet.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> Maybe some of us don't have luxury of choosing what to use. I would love
> to use fedora, but the 1-year reinstall cycle is too short (Especially
> as it's not sure there will be someone to help users to reinstall) and
> getting the old binaries ported from vms with lost sources to work with
> software insisting to use latest bells and whistles not found in CentOS
> 5. Only choice left for us is the CentOS 6.
----
There are choices but you seem to be imprisoned by your own chains.

Scientific Linux and RHEL are very viable choices.

SuSE and Ubuntu are very viable choices.

Fedora has a reasonable upgrade mechanism (but yes, I don't use Fedora
for servers just for the reason you mentioned).

But a distro whose ability to stay current is non-existent... that seems
like a fools choice.

Craig

believed to be clean.