LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 24 01:22:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 06:16 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 18.09.2011 02:21, schrieb Craig White:
>
> > People who are getting worked up about the current state of GNOME 3 are
> > just being stupid... they have other DM's to choose from
>
> this is a dumb argumentation for several reasons
>
> first of all most people have work to do and not look all the time
> which desktop does not interrupt their workflow
----
clearly the best way not to interrupt your workflow is not to upgrade at
all... who is being stupid here?
----
> and stupid are only people who accept all and switching silently
> because the chance is big if not enough people are saying loud
> enough that it is stupid throw away a DE and replace it with another
> one while raise only the version counter sooner or later the desktop
> they choose now will make the same epic fail
----
First of all, no one 'threw' anything away. GNOME 2 code is available,
GPL and if distributions want to maintain it, they can include it
forever.

Secondly, if you have a group that shares your view, fork the GNOME code
and package it for Fedora or any other distributions... knock yourself
out. Seems as though it's awful easy to whine but none of the whiners
actually want to do any of the work.

Lastly, you seem eager to speak for many people but I don't see but a
handful of vocal obdurates that 400 years ago would have been known as
'flat earth' people. Life goes on, things change, your ox has been
gored. Do something about it if you want but recognize that endless
whining on list pretty much is a waste of time and energy... suit
yourself.
----
> the same for "if you are unhappy with the direction fedora goes"
> everybody who says "switch the distro" must be a child and never
> worked in his life because he has simply too much time if he
> can happily switch his whole system
----
nope... pretty much all the distro's are wrestling with the same issues.
For that matter, Apple has done much the same with Lion and Microsoft is
doing much the same with Windows 8. Everyone is on a drive to produce
the next generation user interface. C'est la vie - Oh blah di oh blah
da, life goes on.

I switched to Ubuntu server - wasn't a big deal. It was still Linux last
time I checked.

Craig

believed to be clean.