LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 24 11:46:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 00:28 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 06:22 PM, Craig White wrote:
> > Seems as though it's awful easy to whine but none of the whiners
> > actually want to do any of the work.
> >

> You know, I get awful tired of people saying that and ignoring the fact
> that most people aren't computer programmers and those who are generally
> don't have the time or the specific expertise needed to create a new
> fork of Gnome.
>
> But what I get even more tired of is people who can't be bothered to
> trim their replies so that the rest of us don't have to scroll past all
> of your bickering over and over to get to your newest nugget of wisdom.
>   Either take it off-list or get rid of all of the old material that
> we've all seen before.
----
I resent that you chose my reply to call out 'untrimmed' replies because
it carries the false implication that I didn't trim. I did and it should
be totally obvious that I did if you check. I won't say that I always do
but I think that I almost always trim and reply in line to appropriate
things.

Whether people are programmers or not is decidedly not the point here.
The GNOME developers have made a decision to revamp the UI to account
for the fact that computers are extending beyond the model borne out of
Xerox PARC... a keyboard, screen and mouse. They are attempting to
satisfy display scenarios that might be as small as a telephone to very
large and often multiple large displays. They are attempting to satisfy
the fact that keyboards and mice might be eschewed in favor of touch
input and gestures. They are attempting to satisfy the notion that usage
embraces work flow and workspace(s) and not just application launching.

You can't go to the Ford dealer and buy a brand new 1957 Thunderbird but
essentially that is what is being asked of here... an eternal version of
GNOME that was envisioned and started 10 years ago.

I can appreciate that long time computer users who only use a keyboard,
mouse and screen and little adaptability to how they interact with
grander concepts of work flow and workspace might want to drive the 1957
Thunderbird forever and if there is a sufficient number of modestly
skilled users, they can keep repairing the Thunderbird forever. I wish
them luck.

Then again, even the most casual reading of the intent of Fedora makes
it clear that it embraces the latest technology advances and those who
just want things to remain as they are should probably not be using
Fedora but something like RHEL or CentOS which provide long term
non-change by intent.

Craig

believed to be clean.