"fans seems to work fine" & "It's not enough that they spin"...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 26 10:28:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 10:08 -0700, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> 32-bit ARM or PowerPC systems don't need fans.  If you want a quiet
> computer, buy an old PowerPC Mac used and run a PowerPC Linux distro
> on it.  Doesn't Fedora support PowerPC?

I'm not in a position to get yet another computer.  Though I seem to
recall the PowerPC support was less than, or later than, the usual Intel
processors.

But it's not just *a* fan, you have PSU fans, CPU fans, and sometimes a
case fan.  A box with one large fan ducted to all the other heatsinks
makes things a lot quieter, and more reliable.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.