gnome3 - the funny side

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Mon Sep 26 15:09:58 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 08:48 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Mon September 26 2011, Ian Malone wrote:
>> On the basis that you need to laugh every so often.
>> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/AppletsTransition:
>>
>> Desktop design copouts
>>
>> Then there are applets that are about making it marginally faster to
>> do things that should be obvious and fast to do without an applet to
>> do them. If these are useful, we've misdesigned.
>>
>>     Connect to a Server...
>>     Disk Mounter
>>     Lock Screen
>>     Log Out...
>>     Run Application...
>>     Search for Files...
>>     Shutdown..
>>
> Seriously... Disk Mounter, log out, run application, lock screen, command-
> line. Those are not "core" apps???? Sheesh!

Actually, the point is that they *are* core functions, and should
therefore not need an applet to be efficient and discoverable.

Log out and lock screen are built in to the shell (account menu at top
right, keyboard shortcuts). Disk mounts and Connect to Server are
handled by Nautilus. Run application is also built in (Super/Activities
to search applications, Alt+F2 for run prompt).

Not sure what the plan is for Search, but I think it's integrated with
Nautilus, will be integrated with Documents, I wouldn't be surprised if
it's integrated with the shell at some point.

That leaves Shutdown, which is a much-debated pain point. I do use the
Alternative Status Menu extension gives me a normal Shut Down button[1],
and there's Alt-clicking the Log Off button.

- Michael

1. I don't actually use it for the shut down button, as the Alt+Log Off
behavior is fine for me. I use it for Hibernate, since my laptop lacks a
dedicated Hibernate key and I haven't been able to get the Sleep key to
trigger Hibernate.