gnome3 - the funny side

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 16:48:46 UTC 2011

On Mon September 26 2011, Michael Ekstrand wrote:

> Actually, the point is that they *are* core functions, and should
> therefore not need an applet to be efficient and discoverable.

Ahh... Gotcha.

> Log out and lock screen are built in to the shell (account menu at top
> right, keyboard shortcuts). Disk mounts and Connect to Server are
> handled by Nautilus. Run application is also built in (Super/Activities
> to search applications, Alt+F2 for run prompt).
>
> Not sure what the plan is for Search, but I think it's integrated with
> Nautilus, will be integrated with Documents, I wouldn't be surprised if
> it's integrated with the shell at some point.
>
> That leaves Shutdown, which is a much-debated pain point. I do use the
> Alternative Status Menu extension gives me a normal Shut Down button[1],
> and there's Alt-clicking the Log Off button.
>
> - Michael

Well, I don't use Gnome myself, so it's a moot point to me. However, I
think there ought to be an icon / app for a terminal window. I like the way
my current DE (XFCE) has the option on the start menu for "logout" etc. I
admit I don't miss the "run" option. Virtually every time I want to do
something like that I just go to my open terminal window and type whatever
command I need to execute (such as KCALC for calculator, etc.) I like the
way some DE's give you an icon on the desktop for your removable media when
it's mounted (automatically, most of the time.) Not sure how Gnome 3 will
handle that. It also doubles as an "unmount" when you right-click on that
icon. Sure you can just pull up Nautilus or a terminal window and handle it
that way, but it's nice to have a desktop icon to unmount or access
removable media. Maybe I'm just too lazy.