Comparitive Desktop Environments

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 26 16:11:38 UTC 2011

This morning I decided to try the various desktop environments available
to me, just to see how I react to each. Now nothing I am going to say is
designed to knock any particular environment. By now everyone knows I
have a number of complaints about Gnome 3.

So this morning I tried to get around in LXDE and KDE. I found I quickly
got lost in both. In LXDE I could not get LXTerm (I think that its name)
to be anything but transparent, rather than black letters on a white
background. I could never get any of the Background Images displayed in
the Background program to actually appear as backgrounds. I managed to
put Xterm in  the Application menu but I could not get it as an option
in a panel. The way to shut down was fairly well hidden.

In KDE I also had problems. I could not find a way to get a Home
filesystem displayed so I could find a file I wanted to edit. I could
not get Rhythmbox to play . I had to use KsCD. Just now I found the
FileManagwer so scratch that problem. Once I found  the FileManager I
found how to eject the Disk. A process that had eluded me for awhile.
Logging out and shutting down under Leave is as cute as the Gnome having
those options under the user name (+ Alt key), and equally obscure for
the first time user.

My point is all these DEs have things you can do which are hard to find
for the first time user. I may admit that Gnome 3 may be the most
obscure but not by much. In each case, some time must be spent initially
to figure out how to do things.
The shortest distance between any two puns is a straight line.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net