Fedora14: Very very slow NFS write performance

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Mon Sep 26 20:46:55 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 01:08 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 05:45 AM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> Anyone know why the NFS write performance with Fedora14 may be slow (without
>> async) ?
>> I have Gigabit networking which is all working fine and the systems in question
>> have been running Fedora in various forms for many years.
>
> I found NFSv4 to be completely unusable on my F14 systems. I could never
> figure out where the problem was. It was unusable on my F14 clients when
> I had a F13 server, and once I upgraded the server to F14, my F13
> clients became unusable...
>
> In desperation, I had to move to glusterfs, which fixed all my problems:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.fedoraproject.org/msg40298.html
>
> I've been very happy with it since the forced migration! It has a lot
> fewer oddities than NFS, and it handles sqlite/firefox file-locking just
> fine, unlike some (all?) NFS variants.
>
> - Mike
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Might try that, but I still need NFS for other systems
and having used it for almost 30 years am a bit used to it !
Actually I haven't really had any real problems with NFSv4 under F13 or F14
both at work and home (each network one server and about 6 clients mounting
/home and /data). The only real issue has been performance over an OpenVPN
connection over ADSL, but that is not too surprising (although an ls -l takes
significantly longer that it really should) and this performance issue when
writing multiple files.

Does gluserfs support client side file and attribute caching (cachefilesd is
used with NFS) ? I use that with NFS over the OpenVPN/ADSL link which helps a
bit (although I think it should work much better than it actually does).

Cheers

Terry