Fedora14: Very very slow NFS write performance

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Tue Sep 27 12:18:18 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 04:46 PM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Might try that, but I still need NFS for other systems
> and having used it for almost 30 years am a bit used to it !

glusterfs and nfs mix nicely - you can use the native glusterfs client
(I do), or you can use an nfs client to access the glusterfs server.

You can export a folder using both an nfs server and a glusterfs server
at the same time, which is nice for a gradual migration.

> mounting /home and /data). The only real issue has been performance over
> an OpenVPN connection over ADSL, but that is not too surprising
> (although an ls -l takes
> significantly longer that it really should) and this performance issue
> when writing multiple files.

I use glusterfs over openvpn + cable modem, and it seems much more
responsive than nfs ever was (judged using "ls -l"). But I haven't
benchmarked it objectively.

> Does gluserfs support client side file and attribute caching
> (cachefilesd is used with NFS) ?

I'm not sure about that...

Anyway... it sure solved a lot of stability problems for me. glusterfs
deserves to be better known as a reasonable NFS alternative.

- Mike