LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 27 01:04:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 09:17 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 24.09.2011 03:22, schrieb Craig White:
> > clearly the best way not to interrupt your workflow is not to upgrade at
> > all... who is being stupid here?
>
> so you recommend in other words using F4 after EOL in december this year
> eith all impact: no security updates, no new hardware support?
----
Not really - I have recommended that those who value work flow should
really be using a 'stable' distribution with a much longer life-cycle
than Fedora.
----
> > Lastly, you seem eager to speak for many people but I don't see but a
> > handful of vocal obdurates that 400 years ago would have been known as
> > 'flat earth' people
>
> dumb argument
>
> what have this to do with a actually destroyed workflow?
>
> > Life goes on, things change, your ox has been
> > gored. Do something about it if you want but recognize that endless
> > whining on list pretty much is a waste of time and energy... suit
> > yourself
>
> you call it waste of energy
>
> i call it HARDLY NEEDED because the folk who decided invasive changes
> in users workflows in other cases would think all is super and the
> next time the same happens again
----
Umm... Fedora is committed to being an early adopter of software in
order to advance development. That means that there are times when some
of the software that you use undergoes change, sometimes minor,
sometimes major. If you can't deal with change then don't use Fedora and
use something that favors stability and resists change. RHEL, CentOS,
Scientific Linux, Debian, etc.
----

> > nope... pretty much all the distro's are wrestling with the same issues.
> > For that matter, Apple has done much the same with Lion and Microsoft is
> > doing much the same with Windows 8. Everyone is on a drive to produce
> > the next generation user interface.
>
> and that is exactly teh problem
> we DO NOT NEED a apple-clone
----
No one has said anything about cloning anything. Some people actually
recognize that the thing we know as a computer is in a state of
metamorphosis... tablets, smartbooks, telephones are all various forms
of a computer now. Obviously many software developers are taking notice
that the form factor is experiencing a shift and thus the software
either shifts or risks becoming irrelevant. That was my point about
Apple and Microsoft struggling to maintain relevancy by converging their
user interface between telephones, tablets and common computer forms.
----
> > I switched to Ubuntu server - wasn't a big deal. It was still Linux last
> > time I checked
>
> *lol*
>
> you have swicthed one single webserver with standard packages and think
> you understand the world? so try to switch a infrastrcuture with > 20
> servers intracting 100% automated one with each oter, self written
> deployments and a bun ch of service-dependencies
>
> you can not and you think only you can because it seems you have never seen a
> professional environment where people really work with their computers (servers
> and desktops) the whole day and often also night
----
I suppose the 50+ servers I am doing end to end software and
configuration management with puppet & foreman cannot possibly qualify
as the type of infrastructure you manage... and your vast skills for ip
address management via DHCP.

Craig

believed to be clean.