Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 09:59:25 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 11:59 PM, Roger wrote:
> On 26/09/11 19:38, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 09/22/2011 02:15 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> Alan Cox is exactly right that the users of Fedora products get them
>>> free and one can make a strong case that therefore Fedora developers
>>> have no responsibility to listen to user's complaints.
>>>
>>> However, the Fedora users provide a service to the ReHat company of
>>> identifying bugs that otherwise would show up to annoy the paying users
>>> of RedHat Enterprise .
>>>
>>> This is probably a weak argument to support the developers of Fedora
>>> software listening to its users but what is clear is the current
>>> situation leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the current Fedora
>>> user-base. Clearly developers can ignore our complaints, but I have no
>>> evidence that the paying Enterprise customers will be more tolerant of
>>> the strange direction that RedHat is taking.
>> This is all too vague for me to understand.  What are you talking about?
>>
> Some say that the new Fedora GUI is unhelpful and possibly difficult to
> use, preferring a simpler desktop.

Ahh, this is all about GNOME 3.  It's very unfair to describe the
actions/attitude of GNOME developers at that of all Fedora developers.

> This resulted in a discussion touching on the developers responsibility
> to users, if any.
> Ubuntu and Fedora 14 offers the choice of new or classic.

Not to mention KDE and XFCE.

GNOME 3 is, to say the least, controversial. Ubuntu Unity hasn't had a
uniformly great reception either.  GNOME 3 is still in its first
release, and it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Andrew.