Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Sep 27 11:01:49 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 11:59 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 11:59 PM, Roger wrote:

>>> This is all too vague for me to understand.  What are you talking about?
>>>
>> Some say that the new Fedora GUI is unhelpful and possibly difficult to
>> use, preferring a simpler desktop.
>
> Ahh, this is all about GNOME 3.  It's very unfair to describe the
> actions/attitude of GNOME developers at that of all Fedora developers.

As long as Fedora ship a "first release", as you prefer to call it, as
"default DE", people will identify and set equal "Fedora" with "Gnome3".

I find this very relatable and therefore find "throwing Fedora and
Gnome3 into one big bowl" to be not without justification.

>> This resulted in a discussion touching on the developers responsibility
>> to users, if any.
>> Ubuntu and Fedora 14 offers the choice of new or classic.
>
> Not to mention KDE and XFCE.
>
> GNOME 3 is, to say the least, controversial. Ubuntu Unity hasn't had a
> uniformly great reception either.
Agreed. As I see it, both Ubuntu and Fedora's managements seem to be
addicted to the same "GUI/DE cult".

  They both seem to be missing that both "Gnome 3" and "Unity" are
aiming at a user-base, which is entirely different from the
corresponding distributions' user-bases.

  This new new-user-base likely is (mostly) satisfied, but many of these
distros' "old long term supporters and users" simply feel their so far
choosen distro's DE doesn't suite their needs anymore.

Ralf