Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 13:09:09 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 12:01 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 11:59 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> Some say that the new Fedora GUI is unhelpful and possibly difficult to
>>> use, preferring a simpler desktop.
>>
>> Ahh, this is all about GNOME 3.  It's very unfair to describe the
>> actions/attitude of GNOME developers at that of all Fedora developers.
>
> As long as Fedora ship a "first release", as you prefer to call it, as
> "default DE", people will identify and set equal "Fedora" with "Gnome3".

They're wrong.  A DE is just a thin skin over an OS, as we all know.
I'm a developer of Fedora software, and the DE has nothing to do with
me.  No matter how much I listen to people's complaints about GNOME,
nothing is going to happen.  All I can do is point out to people that
XFCE might be more to their taste.

> I find this very relatable and therefore find "throwing Fedora and
> Gnome3 into one big bowl" to be not without justification.

It is entirely without justification.

>   This new new-user-base likely is (mostly) satisfied, but many of these
> distros' "old long term supporters and users" simply feel their so far
> choosen distro's DE doesn't suite their needs anymore.

This distro has more than one DE.

Andrew.