Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 27 14:38:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 06:19 -0700, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This distro has more than one DE.
>
> Perhaps it would be productive if you posted explicit, detailed
> instructions for changing the desktop environment in Fedora, or if
> there are already instructions online, researched which page is best
> then posted the link here.
EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS
Let us say you want to install XFCE
If you run: yum grouplist
you will see there is a group called: XFCE Software Development
So you can run:
yum groupinstall XFCE
after the installation at the point that you are logging in after you
enter your username,  you will see a window of choices below the passwd
enter field. By default in might say: Gnome
Changing the field to choose XFCE and you will be logged in to XFCE.
>From then on until you change it you will be logged on to XFCE every
time you login.
You may find other DE options are already on the list. They can be
chosen at the time you install F15.

> I use Fedora on my workstation and Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.  I
> really, really hated Ubuntu Unity when I first installed 11.04, but I
> am getting used to it.  The main problem I had was that I could not
> find anything in the menus, but it's all in there somewhere.  It's a
> matter of getting used to it.
>
> I don't have an opinion on the current Fedora, as my workstation is
> packed in a storage shed until I can get a U-Haul truck to move it to
> my new home.
>

> --
> Don Quixote de la Mancha
> quixote at dulcineatech.com
>
>    Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
>    http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/

Before borrowing money from a friend, decide which you need more. --
Addison H. Hallock
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net