Building X11R6.8 in Fedora 15 - Flex not found

Doug Kuvaas doug.kuvaas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:42:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha
<quixote at dulcineatech.com> wrote:
> X11 is supposed to be upwards binary compatible.  If it won't run old
> applications, you should file a bug with Fedora.  If you can figure
> out what the difference is between the old X and the new X that
> enables your app to run on the old X, mention that in your bug report.
>
> --
> Don Quixote de la Mancha
> quixote at dulcineatech.com
>
>    Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
>    http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/
> --

The problem that I am running into is not actually a bug in X, it
appears to be an incorrect assumption made in our X client. Namely,
the Xserver is not required to provide the backing store, and may
refuse it if resources are unavailable.  I have also been posting to
the Xorg mailing list and have received an answer stating this.  Xorg
seems to be moving away from supporting some of the old technologies
that were around a long time again and are now mostly dead.  The
legacy application I am trying to run was written back when 4 MBit
Token Ring networks were considered "High-speed", and serial terminals
were not uncommon.  This isn't a problem going forward, as we are
moving away from using this display technology in favor of using a web
application, however we have numerous customers still utilizing the
old system.  Since our software application is more or less custom
built for each customer, fixing our software may be a larger task than
finding a way to make new hardware work.  Someone in this thread did
mention a resources file.  This might be something to look at,
especially since it doesn't involve changing source code.