Building X11R6.8 in Fedora 15 - Flex not found

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Sep 27 21:15:16 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 04:42 PM, Doug Kuvaas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha
> <quixote at dulcineatech.com>  wrote:
>> X11 is supposed to be upwards binary compatible.  If it won't run old
>> applications, you should file a bug with Fedora.  If you can figure
>> out what the difference is between the old X and the new X that
>> enables your app to run on the old X, mention that in your bug report.
>>
>> --
>> Don Quixote de la Mancha
>> quixote at dulcineatech.com
>>
>>     Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
>>     http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/
>> --
>>

> The problem that I am running into is not actually a bug in X, it
> appears to be an incorrect assumption made in our X client. Namely,
> the Xserver is not required to provide the backing store, and may
> refuse it if resources are unavailable.  I have also been posting to
> the Xorg mailing list and have received an answer stating this.  Xorg
> seems to be moving away from supporting some of the old technologies
> that were around a long time again and are now mostly dead.  The
> legacy application I am trying to run was written back when 4 MBit
> Token Ring networks were considered "High-speed", and serial terminals
> were not uncommon.  This isn't a problem going forward, as we are
> moving away from using this display technology in favor of using a web
> application, however we have numerous customers still utilizing the
> old system.  Since our software application is more or less custom
> built for each customer, fixing our software may be a larger task than
> finding a way to make new hardware work.  Someone in this thread did
> mention a resources file.  This might be something to look at,
> especially since it doesn't involve changing source code.
Depending on the exact issue with needing backing store, you might be able to
get around this by using one of the newer X-Server features compositing.
If your graphics driver supports this it will normally need to be enabled from
the desktop settings. Alternatively, and if that is not suitable, modifying
the code with a set of pixmap buffers where windows contents are saved/restore
on raise/lower events or what is needed shouldn't be to hard.

Also it may be possible to rebuild the F15 X-Server with backing stores enabled.
It used to be a configurable item during the build ...

Cheers

Terry