LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Wed Sep 28 13:29:24 UTC 2011

> I have a theory, based on the reason I use FVWM ahead of all of
> them: The gnome and KDE developers have now both exhibited an
> extreme propensity for jerking the rug out from under folks.
> People are looking for something they won't have to relearn
> every time developers get a bee in their bonnet. That pretty
> much totally excludes both gnome and KDE from any consideration.
>
> I strongly suspect both XFCE and LXDE will wind up having the
> same thing happen, they both seem to exhibit evidence of being
> actively developed, which means bees could arrive in new bonnets
> at any moment :-).
>
> I'll stick with FVWM and sample the new version of whatever
> is standard in fedora on each release just long enough to
> use it to get mt FVWM environment back.
> --

Hi Tom,

I am curious: how do you handle wifi connections? Do you do things from
the command line, and then, where do you put in the passwords and other
codes? Or do you use wicd-tools or NetworkManager or the like? How
about bluetooth?

It appears that fvwm as well as enlightenment will be orphaned in F16.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-July/154177.html

Also, how does fvwm relate with fluxbox?

Best wishes,
Ranjan