LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Sep 16 16:28:31 UTC 2011

> I strongly suspect both XFCE and LXDE will wind up having the
> same thing happen, they both seem to exhibit evidence of being
> actively developed, which means bees could arrive in new bonnets
> at any moment :-).

Xfce has evolved rather than go for mad redesigns. Xfce today is
certainly quite a bit different to much older versions, and it's migrated
bit by bit away from its CDE style origins

The XFCE design process itself doesn't have a "lets write another new
desktop and give it the same name" procedure, its a bit more evolutionary.

Alan