LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:37:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:19:05 +0200
Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> I really don't see why Gnome2 lovers and Gnome3 haters fall back to
> XFCE and LXDE automatically, without even trying the KDE spin... Is
> there some silent collective KDE-boycotting in place here or what?

I have a theory, based on the reason I use FVWM ahead of all of
them: The gnome and KDE developers have now both exhibited an
extreme propensity for jerking the rug out from under folks.
People are looking for something they won't have to relearn
every time developers get a bee in their bonnet. That pretty
much totally excludes both gnome and KDE from any consideration.

I strongly suspect both XFCE and LXDE will wind up having the
same thing happen, they both seem to exhibit evidence of being
actively developed, which means bees could arrive in new bonnets
at any moment :-).

I'll stick with FVWM and sample the new version of whatever
is standard in fedora on each release just long enough to
use it to get mt FVWM environment back.