Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 29 03:34:00 UTC 2011

On 09/29/2011 03:29 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:26:44 +0200
> Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  wrote:
>
>> On 09/28/2011 03:42 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>>> yum groupinstall "XFCE"
>>> set your desktop at gdm

Remark: I am still using F14 as regular OS, however I have F15 testing
installations (not in regular use) on 2 testing machines.

>> - EFAIL screensaver
>
> --verbose?

1) On machine #1, xscreensaver never "blackens" the screen, but
continues infinitely. It tried to tweak its settings, but no success so far.

2) On machine #1 (a netbook with intel GPU), after many hours (could be
either 12 or 24 hrs) of  xscreensaver activity, the machines "deep
freezes" (no local nor remote login possible, Alt-F<X> doesn't react) -
Of course, this issue could be caused by something else, but fact is it
only happens when xscreensaver is active.

On machine #2 (a ca 10 years old PIII w/ a ca. 6 years old nvidia GPU),
xscreensaver dumps core after some time. My wild guess would be issues
with GL, because Gnome3 crashes immediately and Gnome3/fallback also
crashes after some hours. F14/Gnome2 had worked flawlessly.

> Hopefully you aren't trying to use gnome-screensaver.
> xscreensaver should work fine.
It's xscreensaver.

>> - EFAIL set desktop background
>
> Works fine here.
OK, I will try to recheck - May-be I missed something or may-be
something has changed.

>> - EFAIL terminal sizing (Fix lingering in testing)
>
> That issue affects gnome-terminal, and yes, there's a fix in testing.
> Xfce Terminal works fine and always has. ;)
After ca. 10 years of using Gnome, I so far prefer using gnome-terminal
and am trying to stay with nautilus w/ xfce :)

>> - Sporadic -EFAIL restoring desktop.
>
> There's been some reports of this. I have been unable to isolate it.
> Somehow the window manager crashes on logout and the session gets saved
> without it. There's an upstream bug open on it... more information
> welcome.
OK. I also can't reproduce it deterministically.

Two other issues, I haven't mentioned yet:

* xfce's interaction with NetworkManager.
The NM configuration I was using under F14/Gnome2 and F15/Gnome3 did not
work with F15/xfce. I had to change it to get it working with xfce.

* How to get rid of gdm and what to replace it with?
Gdm had always been a major nuissance, which had never worked
flawlessly, so I am inclined to use switching to xfce as an oportunty to
get rid of it, as well.

>>> End of problem
>>
>> Start of new problems ;)
>
> Sadly, all software has issues. ;)