Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 09:46:51 UTC 2011

On 09/29/2011 02:02 AM, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 15:15 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:

>> I think you're missing the point.  A major goal of any leading-edge
>> distro is to get feedback from users on new features.  In other words,
>> getting negative feedback from users isn't a bug, it's a feature.
> ----
> sure - but let's not confuse excessive vocalizations by 15 people or so
> to represent a significant percentage.

We don't have any real way to figure out how representative complaints
are.  We can only act on what we hear: the squeaky wheel is the one
that gets the grease, as ever.

> I vaguely recall the mantra... it's not a bug if it's not in bugzilla -
> does that not apply any more?

Huh?

> Then of course, there's feedback appropriateness... perhaps you should
> earmark a bugzilla page, a wiki page or a forum page for sound off
> because the same people griping about the same things over and over
> again on the mail list really denigrates the usefulness of the mail
> list.

You and I don't get to decide how other people complain.  They're free
to complain in any way they want.  If they think they're being ignored
in one forum they'll find another.  All that we can decide is how we
respond to their complaints.

Andrew.