Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 17:08:01 UTC 2011

On 09/29/2011 12:27 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 10:46 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> ----
>>> sure - but let's not confuse excessive vocalizations by 15 people or so
>>> to represent a significant percentage.
>>
>> We don't have any real way to figure out how representative complaints
>> are.  We can only act on what we hear: the squeaky wheel is the one
>> that gets the grease, as ever.
> ----
> I think you are now understanding why few developers monitor the various
> users lists.

I don't know why you think that.  I don't know that few developers
monitor the various users lists, either.

>>> I vaguely recall the mantra... it's not a bug if it's not in bugzilla -
>>> does that not apply any more?
>>
>> Huh?
> ----
> are you that new to RH and Linux?

No.  I've been here for a long time.  Longer than almost everyone
else, as it happens.  Your question seemed to be a non sequitur: AFAIK
the complaints about missing buttons etc are indeed in Bugzilla.  So I
don't know why you made that point.

>>> Then of course, there's feedback appropriateness... perhaps you should
>>> earmark a bugzilla page, a wiki page or a forum page for sound off
>>> because the same people griping about the same things over and over
>>> again on the mail list really denigrates the usefulness of the mail
>>> list.
>>
>> You and I don't get to decide how other people complain.  They're free
>> to complain in any way they want.  If they think they're being ignored
>> in one forum they'll find another.  All that we can decide is how we
>> respond to their complaints.
> ----
> OK - respond

I respond to complaints about the stuff *I* work on, as I said just a
few messages ago.  I don't work on GNOME.

Andrew.