Fun and games with 3TB hard drives.

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:32:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 19:33, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It turns out that the whole process can be done from within gparted, if you
> know what you are doing.

This exemplifies the problem with FOSS software and the "here's the
recipe on how to fix it" culture, . Don't get me wrong, I'm not
throwing blame around, I just want to say that:

1. Instead of posting "recipes" on how to fix limitations of the
software, it'd be MUCH MORE helpful to FIX THE UNDERLYING PROBLEMS
with the software, so that:

a. A BUG REPORT ON FDISK is entered, so that:
   * It works correctly on drives bigger than 2TB, or
   * (interim solution) it displays a user-friendly message telling the user
     that for big drives as (the current drive size) gparted is the right way to
     partition to avoid limitations in the FDISK software.

b. FILE A BUG on the automount routines, it should automount such
drive just like those partitioned with FDISK.

FC