How to change network address ?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Apr 1 15:08:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 07:53:41 -0700,
   jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:

>Obsolete or not, I have macros built into my fingers that type out things
>like "ifconfig eth0" when I am fishing for answers. Otherwise I hand edit
>ifcfg-eth0 or its kith and kin. The GUI tool disappoints me when I try to
>use it.

I do something similar with the ip command. I usually use ip addr to
list all of the addresses associated with all of the interfaces.
Sometimes ip link, if I just want to check which ones are active.
I also use it to add networks to a device when playing with cheap
routers. You can just do something like ip addr add dev eth0 192.168.1.3/24
to let you talk to a reset router that comes up on 192.168.1.1 by default.
I don't need to mess with the rest of my netowrking or change my
config in a way that affects how things come up after the next reboot.