How to change network address ?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 1 15:13:50 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/01 07:58, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 01.04.2012 16:53, schrieb jdow:
>> On 2012/04/01 07:42, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>>
>>> ifconfig has been obsolete for a long time (in the sense that ip does
>>> more stuff, not in the packaging sense).
>>
>> Obsolete or not, I have macros built into my fingers that type out things
>> like "ifconfig eth0" when I am fishing for answers. Otherwise I hand edit
>> ifcfg-eth0 or its kith and kin. The GUI tool disappoints me when I try to
>> use it.
>
> +1
>
> 999 out of 1000 cases dealing with networks can be done with
> ifconfig and classical network service and will hopefully
> be possible this way the next 20 years for static configured
> machines

ifconfig with or without a specific network device as a parameter is
my friend for information. The ifup and ifdown scripts handle most of
the rest after I've hand edited files. I don't try to use the more
arcane ifconfig capabilities. They get me into as much trouble as they
get me out of. And once ifcfg-ethX is properly edited I'm essentially
done. (One console for editing and one for up and down action.) Mostly
what I've had to do is fiddle with ifup-local to get special features
working smoothly here. (I setup to start internal network first. Then
I start external network. I fire off iptables in the ifup-local for the
external network. I have my own iptables script. Firewall tools are too
much of a pain for some of the tricks I pull. And THEN I fire off the
ntp startup. With it all in order everything works right. When they are
out of order, chaos reigns. And so far default order means something
important doesn't work right. GUI tool guarantees nothing works right.)

{o.o}