flash updated (11.2 r202) yesterday, strange permissions stuff, no youtube

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 13:11:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>> On 04/14/2012 02:15 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>>> Well, I just downloaded the tarball once more, and took a look. cmp
>>> says today's tarball is different from yesterdays. Unpacking the
>>> tarball and doing a diff -r reveals that they differ in the contents
>>> of the readme (version goes up from .228 to .233) and the kde library,
>>> /usr/lib/kde4/kcm/adobe/flash_player.so .
>
> Noticed that libflashplayer is also different, so I went ahead and
> moved today's libflashplayer in to see what would happen. No change.
> (Guess I'm still not up to speed on reading diffs.)
>
> I should note that some videos work, either way. (Live video of Heart
> doing Heartless and another of B-52s doing Roam. The Roam video claims
> to be a conversion to Theora.) Probably Theora/ogg and other free
> stuff works and non-free stuff that depends on Flash to get around the
> codec issue doesn't.
>
>>> So, the versions shouldn't be at issue here. I guess I'll tell my
>>> daughter that youtube is isn't going to work for a few days, until I
>>> get more information, at least.
>>>
>>> Adobe's failure to provide cryptographic checksums for those further
>>> undermines my trust in their processes.
>>
>> Why don't you switch your youtube experience to hmtl5?
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>>
>> and join....
>
> Great idea!
>
> Doesn't seem to make any difference, however.
>
> I'm seeing some messages that may be related in /var/log/messages,
> I'll have to copy paste them into this thread. And I'll try moving the
> old Flash plugin back in to see if that tells me anything.

With the old flash plugin, youtube works fine.

> May put
> flash in one account on the box I'm using here, to see if it's perhaps
> a CPU or other hardware issue but not now.

Okay, the current flash plugin and yesterdays both work on this box. Except that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GpxCUg9Vo

(heart playing heartless on TV back in the 70s) doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a03S9o4sFxE

B52s playing Roam, does play.

html5 setting doesn't make any difference on this box, either.

This box is a netbook with the accursed Intel Atom N455, 32 bit
fedora. That box is AMD Sempron 2600, all 32 bit.

Guess I need to file a bug somewhere.

--
Joel Rees