usb/camera

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Apr 16 12:36:41 UTC 2012

On 04/16/2012 12:05 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I plug my camera on the usb port it is recognized on bus 006
> but the device is incremented every time. Hence, every time I need to
> make a chmod a+w /dev/bus/usb/006/0xx to let a user read the pictures.
>
> How can I fix this more elegantly?

Create a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d (the name is not important,
but the first part is a priority, I usually use 51 or so).

Put something like:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="XxxX", ATTRS{idProduct} =="YyyY",MODE="0666"

where the XxxX and YyyY are the vendor and product of your camera,
which you can see by using the lsusb command.

The change will have effect on next camera replug.

(this is how I do it on F14; hoping F16 has not changed everything)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it