Can anyone recommend a good video editing tool?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 25 03:45:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 00:28 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> For instance, it´s impossible to do frame-accurate cutting with a lot
> of AVI cutters, whereas on MPEG2 cuts are frame-perfect.

In either case, that would have to depend on the coding of the file.

Lots of MPEG files only have a full frame every half second, with all
the intermediate frame being partial ones (only the parts of the picture
that has changed since the full frame).  You can't do editing at the
partial frame.

AVI files could have any type of encoding, it's only the container.

Generally speaking, the best way to edits are to either:

      * Convert to an uncompressed format, edit that, then encode the
        output using the compression scheme that you want.  Though, you
        mayn't have sufficient hard drive space, or a fast enough
        computer, to be able to do that.

      * Or, always stay in the one format, if it's one that allows
        editing.  Some formats do allow straight cuts between frames
        without require re-encoding.  But most will require re-encoding
        if you change the picture in any way (e.g. adjust contrast, add
        text over the picture, do fade or wipe, et cetera).

I work in video production, have done so for well over twenty years.  I
hate digital editing, it's nearly always in the wrong format, sound sync
is still a major problem, and few software authors have their head
around how editing is done (so you get very painful to use editors).
Even the expensive ones used by industry (such as Final Cut Pro, or
Adobe Premiere) are horrible.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686