Enabling Wireless network without NetworkManager

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 14:29:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 14:49:52 +0100 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
> > Module rt2800pci is loading and I can read MAC# of wireless card
>
> As a matter of interest,
> what command do you give to see the MAC address?
>
> Assuming this was with iwconfig,
> I would have thought it showed you were almost there,
> as someone else suggested.
>
> Maybe you have to give direct "ip route" or "route" commands
> to specify the routing setup?
> I prefer the output from the old "route" command,
> which seems to me to be more easily understood.
> Maybe commands like
>   route delete default
>   route add default gw 192.168.1.33
> ?

In addition, what security protocol are you using? If the access point
is set up for WPA, you need to configure and run the wpa_supplicant
service, which is supposed to do the appropriate key negotiation with
the access point, before the dhcp server gives you info about your IP,
gateway etc.

NetworkManager uses the wpa_supplicant internally and transparently.
The old network service scripts do not. So if you are not using NM, then
you need to configure it manually and enable it via systemctl, so that
it runs as a daemon and steps in when necessary.

man wpa_supplicant
man wpa_supplicant.conf
man wpa_cli

HTH, :-)