sound

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 11:29:23 UTC 2012

The sound card works fine with fedora16 live, but not sound device is
detected with the installed fedora16.

This is the lsmod of fedora live:

snd_hda_codec_hdmi     21224  4
snd_hda_codec_via      29923  1
snd_hda_intel          20691  3
snd_hda_codec          73545  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               4821  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                43428  0
snd_seq_device          5033  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                63555  4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              15209  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    48367  14
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               5027  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          6031  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

and the one of the installed fedora

snd_hda_codec_hdmi     36277  4
snd_hda_codec_via      46559  1
snd_hda_intel          33276  0
snd_hda_codec         114615  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              17611  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                64807  0
snd_seq_device         14129  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                97100  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              28815  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    74425  9
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              14484  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         18101  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I do see only one difference is the snd_hda_intel 3 versus 0!
Is it the probleÃm, if yes, how to fix it?

There is no vt17xx module in any case.

Thank for your help.

Patrick Dupre <patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk> wrote:

> You could try, as root,
> modprobe -v VT17xx
>
> FATAL: Module VT17xx not found.
>
> What provide such a m¶odule?
The sound driver modules are provided as part of the kernel.  When the
kernel is compiled, the drivers are either compiled as part of it, or
more commonly, as modules so they can be loaded if necessary.

I run only custom compiled kernels here, so I don't have a stock Fedora
kernel to see what it does.  I seem to recall that all sound drivers are
compiled as modules, which makes sense.
Run
modprobe -v -l | grep snd
to see which sound driver modules are available to you.
Try
modprobe -v -l | grep -i vt1
to see if the vt module is available.  You might have to run the
command I gave above with the proper name for the module.  Maybe it
should be snd-VT17xx or snd-vt17xx instead of the name I gave.

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |  Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |  Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |  email: patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk