F17 XDMCP

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Tue Jul 3 16:24:17 UTC 2012

> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 07/02/2012 07:08 AM, Ken Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I would suggest deprecated as the settings for the function have been
>>> buried. It suppose it depends on how you define deprecated.
>>
>> No, they haven't.  They're still in custom.conf, where they've been
>> for some time.  The buried settings discussed earlier apply to GDM,
>> which has not itself been deprecated.
>>
>>> If I try the access the FC17 VM with "X -query ..." from the FC13 host
>>> or the C6 VM, the machine switches desktop as expected and then
>>> displays
>>> the circular mouse icon on a black screen and then the desktop freezes.
>>> Cntl-Alt F1 or 2 etc then do nothing.
>>
>> It sounds like the X server is crashing or locking up.  Try this:
>> Reset the machine running the X server.  Possibly reset the F17 host
>> as well, since it's complaining about too many sessions from your X
>> server host.  When you run X -query, capture data using strace:
>>
>> strace -f -s 256 X -query ... > /var/tmp/xtrace.txt 2>&1
>>
>> After the X server locks, cancel the trace with Ctrl+C.  Don't send
>> the file to the list, because it'll be large.  I don't think it has
>> any sensitive data in it, so maybe compress it and post it somewhere
>> it can be retrieved (http://ge.tt ?) or send it to me.  What we're
>> looking for is output from glibc similar to what I included
>> previously.  It'll be on lines near the end which indicate calls to
>> writev().

I have just sent the below to Gordon off list with an attached file with
the traces.

Hi Gordon,

I attach a tar.gz file with the traces. It only 500k so e-mail should cope.

These were done with the FC13 machine, that acts as the VM host, as an X
server and the FC17 VM acting as an X client. The FC17 was freshly
booted.  I had a ssh session logged in to the FC13 from another machine
as I was expecting to lose control of the desktop of the FC13 machine
during these tests.

The file xtrace.txt is a trace using Xnest from a normal user account on
the FC13 X server.

The file xtrace2.txt is a trace of a repeat of the last Xnest command
but this time a login desktop appeared and allowed me to start entering
logon details before it vanished off the screen

The file xtrace3.txt is a trace of a "X -query ..." command from a
normal user account on the FC13 X server

The file xtrace4.txt is a trace of a "X -query ..." command from the
root account on the FC13 X server. As previously the desktop switched to
the new X display and it showed a small round icon that was movable with
the mouse.

The file xtrace4-copy.txt is a copy of xtrace4.txt made after running
the "X -query ..." command but before rebooting that machine to regain
control of the desktop.

There's some interesting things in that xtrace4.txt file about malloc
and memory corruption.

Hope this helps

Ken

believed to be clean.