OT: Spam Problems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 11 09:13:03 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> Spam shouldn't be bounced, though.  Even /that/ address will be
>> faked, and most likely a forgery of someone else's address, so you
>> will be spamming someone with the bounce.

Reindl Harald:
> generally a proper configured server NEVER send bounces in any case
> it REJECTS with a failure-code and the DELIVERING smtpd is
> responsible for sending bounces

And it really has to be the first SMTP server to do the rejections.
There's no point in you trying to reject mail at your home SMTP server,
if it's ingesting mail that's already been accepted by your ISP (or some
other mail service provider), and they're just passing it along to you.
The damage has already been done, by then.

Rejecting and bouncing mail should only be done by those who really know
what they're doing, likewise with reporting spam.  Everyone else, who're
not familiar with the intricacies of email, should just delete spam.
Ill-conceived bounces or rejections cause more spam, and half-baked spam
reports just waste time.

Your service provider will already be doing stuff to manage spam,
anyway.  I'd only bother reporting spam if you were getting a torrent of
it, indicating that your ISP's anti-spam procedures have failed.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.