OT: Spam Problems

Errol Mangwiro emangwiro at live.com
Wed Jul 11 12:44:24 UTC 2012

> Subject: Re: OT: Spam Problems
> From: ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
> To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:43:03 +0930
>
> Tim:
> >> Spam shouldn't be bounced, though.  Even /that/ address will be
> >> faked, and most likely a forgery of someone else's address, so you
> >> will be spamming someone with the bounce.
> >

> Reindl Harald:
> > generally a proper configured server NEVER send bounces in any case
> > it REJECTS with a failure-code and the DELIVERING smtpd is
> > responsible for sending bounces
>
> And it really has to be the first SMTP server to do the rejections.
> There's no point in you trying to reject mail at your home SMTP server,
> if it's ingesting mail that's already been accepted by your ISP (or some
> other mail service provider), and they're just passing it along to you.
> The damage has already been done, by then.
>
> Rejecting and bouncing mail should only be done by those who really know
> what they're doing, likewise with reporting spam.  Everyone else, who're
> not familiar with the intricacies of email, should just delete spam.
> Ill-conceived bounces or rejections cause more spam, and half-baked spam
> reports just waste time.
>
> Your service provider will already be doing stuff to manage spam,
> anyway.  I'd only bother reporting spam if you were getting a torrent of
> it, indicating that your ISP's anti-spam procedures have failed.

The problem isn't really receiving spam. It's that someone is sending spam mail purporting to be from my domain. And I only found this out after some spam that they sent to some other mail bounced back. (ref the mail headers i sent)So with my SPF and DKIM records are okay and the receiving server on that end should check where the mail is coming from and should have rejected that mail. Instead usually the bounces only occur because the receiving email account does not exist. which means that there might be tons of other mail being successfully sent.