F16 - Adding a second video card

G.Wolfe Woodbury redwolfe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 03:08:25 UTC 2012

On 07/15/2012 10:05 PM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> I have an older motherboard/processor (Intel DG965RY with a Pentium D)
> the system has an integrated video adapter (82G965) and I'd like to
> add a second video Card (PCI card ATI RAGE IIC) I'm not looking for
> fast video but would like to use 2 monitors.
>
> I put the ATI card in the machine and an lshw shows the card:
>
>         -display UNCLAIMED
>                         product: 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC]
>                         vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>

> When I first booted the system with the card, the BIOS made the ATI
> card the primary and once X started the system went blank, changed the
> bios to force the integrated card to be primary and everything works
> as before, however I don't know how to tell X that there is a second
> video card and to start using it.
>
> What's the magic command that I'm unable to find?  From the GUI I've
> checked displays under system settings but I only see my integrated
> video interface, and "detect displays" produces nothing but the
> existing display.

You may need to install the Mach64 X driver, and/or force the kernel to
load the appropriate drive before X starts.
There is a two-level complication to graphics under Linux.
Then you may need to generate a real xorg.conf file so that X sees both
cards,
It has been a while since I did two monitor setups, but I thing "X
-configure" may do most of the work once the
kernel module is loaded.

HTH
--
G.Wolfe Woodbury