F16 - Adding a second video card

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 15:34:10 UTC 2012

On 07/15/2012 11:08 PM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On 07/15/2012 10:05 PM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>> I have an older motherboard/processor (Intel DG965RY with a Pentium D)
>> the system has an integrated video adapter (82G965) and I'd like to
>> add a second video Card (PCI card ATI RAGE IIC) I'm not looking for
>> fast video but would like to use 2 monitors.
>>
>> I put the ATI card in the machine and an lshw shows the card:
>>
>> -display UNCLAIMED
>> product: 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC]
>> vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>>

>> When I first booted the system with the card, the BIOS made the ATI
>> card the primary and once X started the system went blank, changed the
>> bios to force the integrated card to be primary and everything works
>> as before, however I don't know how to tell X that there is a second
>> video card and to start using it.
>>
>> What's the magic command that I'm unable to find? From the GUI I've
>> checked displays under system settings but I only see my integrated
>> video interface, and "detect displays" produces nothing but the
>> existing display.
>>
> You may need to install the Mach64 X driver, and/or force the kernel to
> load the appropriate drive before X starts.
> There is a two-level complication to graphics under Linux.
> Then you may need to generate a real xorg.conf file so that X sees both
> cards,
> It has been a while since I did two monitor setups, but I thing "X
> -configure" may do most of the work once the
> kernel module is loaded.
>
> HTH

Many older MoBos will not support two video cards.  When you plug a
video card in the expansion slot it disables the integrated one.  This
is not an issue with Linux but with the MoBo.

If you must have dual monitor support you will have to track down a
video card that will support dual monitors.  Most dual monitor video
cards will not be supported by older MoBos either because they require
high speed slots that are not available on the older MoBos.  You will
run into the same problem if you try to install a Gb network card.  Not
enough band width is available on the older MoBo to support those cards.

--
     _
    °v°