HP-P1006 Laser Printer -

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Jul 22 20:05:50 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 03:40:36PM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

>    This is Fedora 17/64 XFCE. I have been trying to install a network
>    printer, HP-P1006 Laser Printer. No matter what I do when I get to
>    the end of the process and do a test page nothing prints, it just
>    shows Status: Stopped - Printer  error.

Bob, do you know if this printer has EVR worked on any Linux?
I;d suggest connecting it directly to a USB port on the computer
you're workin g with and see if it can be made to work that way.
If not, thenyou're probably just wasting time wth a more complicated
configuration.

an other t4est  would be to see if that print server works with any
other brand/model of USB printer from that Linux machine.

If HP has user forums (fora, in  proper Latin) for hplip, you may want
to inquire there.

I sorta recall having heard that the cheapo 10xx series HP printers need
to have a firmware download from the printing host, so maybe the D-link
is somehow getting in the way of that.

Good luck!

>    It seemed to require "hplip.plugin."  I've gone through the install
>    process several times, the last time with "setenforce=0" to no
>    avail. That via the Administration > Printer gui. I also tried CUPS
>    with similar results.
>
>    The HP-P1006 requires USB input and is connected via a D-Link
>    DP-301U USB Printer Server which is the interface between Ethernet
>    and USB and has worked without a problem for several years with a
>    Brother 5140 laser printer. I do not usually have any problem
>    setting up network printers but this one appears to be unique with
>    it's "hplip.plugin" requirement. I am not certain that my efforts to
>    install that have been successful.  At any rate "hp-setup" never
>    "finds" the printer.
>
>    Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions appreciated.
>
>    Bob
>
>    --
>    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD box9
>
> --