HP-P1006 Laser Printer -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jul 22 21:30:36 UTC 2012

On 22/07/12 16:05, fred smith types:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 03:40:36PM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>     This is Fedora 17/64 XFCE. I have been trying to install a network
>>     printer, HP-P1006 Laser Printer. No matter what I do when I get to
>>     the end of the process and do a test page nothing prints, it just
>>     shows Status: Stopped - Printer  error.
> Bob, do you know if this printer has EVR worked on any Linux?
> I;d suggest connecting it directly to a USB port on the computer
> you're workin g with and see if it can be made to work that way.
> If not, thenyou're probably just wasting time wth a more complicated
> configuration.

    The printer is downstairs, I am upstairs. I want it to work on our LAN.

    Yes it works when connected to my daughters Mac via a USB cable but
    nothing else I have tried. I have bypassed the radio link with a
    long cat-5 cable, the D-link device and the USB input to the
    printer. Problem is the printer is neither wifi or Ethernet which
    makes things difficult and in addition to the available driver it
    keeps protesting that it requires something called "hplip.plugin"
    which I have tried to install, yet hp-setup can't find the printer?

> an other t4est  would be to see if that print server works with any
> other brand/model of USB printer from that Linux machine.

    Yes, my trusty Brother printer is dead because that D-Link device
    was running it for ages! I just commandeered it as a known working
    device, I have other stuff I bought yesterday that I prefer to use
    but being new it is unknown.

> If HP has user forums (fora, in  proper Latin) for hplip, you may want
> to inquire there.

    Experience has shown that the best responses come from this list, I
    use others out of desperation.

> I sorta recall having heard that the cheapo 10xx series HP printers need
> to have a firmware download from the printing host, so maybe the D-link
> is somehow getting in the way of that.

    May be so ...  again that hplip.plugin, I'm not sure about that one
    but went through the motions of installing it and now have an HP
    icon at the top right next to networkmanager. It brings up the
    hp-setup screen which can never find the printer even when given the
    ip [192.168.1.4].

    I installed hplip as Joe Zeff suggested.

    Now I have discovered that the alternate Brother Laser printer
    [HL-2170] does not work from this F-17 computer but does work from
    my F-16 box? F-17 has been working with the other Brother Laser
    Printer [HL-5140] and the D-Link, usually at least a dozen pages per
    day.

    I just thought the symptoms might have rung a bell with someone.
    I'll let it go 'til tomorrow.

    Thanks,

    Bob

--