booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Mar 21 20:19:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, jackson byers wrote:

> Michael,
> did you follow the Andras->Tom Horsley link?

Yes.

> did you first extract the vmlinuz, initrd.img   from the /isolinux/
> directory on the iso?

Yes.

> did you then create a grub.conf install stanza, following Horsley's example?
> Note that he uses the  "repo=" option;

Yes.

> In my opinion you should try following his example exactly, including
> the "repo=" part.

Did that too.
'Tis hard to document.

> I have followed Horsley's prescription for hdinstalls for several
> years with great success.

Here is the most recent stanza.
/dev/sda3 is no longer a DVD image.
It gave me error messages.

title Install Fedora from iso
 	root (hd0,2)
 	kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=/home1:/
ks=http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~hennebry/anaconda-ks.cfg
 	initrd /initrd.img
#The /boot/f15x directory is where I extracted the vmlinuz
#and initrd.img files from the isolinux directory on
#the iso image, and /zooty/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/
#is the directory where I saved the iso image (where
#the /zooty mountpoint mounts a partition with the label ZOOTY).
#

Here is what I fed to the grub command line this time:
 	root (hd0,2)
 	find /vmlinuz
 	find /initrd.img
 	kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=/home1:/
ks=http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~hennebry/anaconda-ks.cfg
 	initrd /initrd.img
 	boot
#The /boot/f15x directory is where I extracted the vmlinuz
#and initrd.img files from the isolinux directory on
#the iso image, and /zooty/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/
#is the directory where I saved the iso image (where
#the /zooty mountpoint mounts a partition with the label ZOOTY).
#

Here is the result from the grub command line:
[root at localhost tmp]# grub < stanza.txt
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

     GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

  [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
    lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the
possible
    completions of a device/filename.]
grub> root (hd0,2)
grub> find /vmlinuz
  (hd0,2)
  (hd1,1)
grub> find /initrd.img
  (hd0,2)
  (hd1,1)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=/home1:/ ks=http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~hennebry/anaconda-ks.cfg
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x4000, size=0x3dbf60]
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[root at localhost tmp]#

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily