[UPDATED:] Re: confusion on /sbin/ifconfig on F16

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed May 23 05:49:04 UTC 2012

On 05/23/2012 01:31 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> SO, I am at least running (but with a groan at how)
>
> I'd like a single command with no "if's" (ip or other) that give me 192.168.2.x (I
> can handle if it has "/24?) on the end.

Well, as you said, things are in transition....  And, if you did some google searches
you'd find that there were/are differences between how interface names appear(ed) at
various points depending on system architecture.  That seems to be your main "issue".

All that aside....  If you have a system with a single interface you can always do....

[egreshko at meimei test]$ /sbin/ifconfig | grep 'inet ' | grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d
: -f 2 | awk '{ print $1}'
192.168.0.18

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage