[UPDATED:] Re: confusion on /sbin/ifconfig on F16

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed May 23 06:17:49 UTC 2012

On 5/22/2012 10:49 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Well, as you said, things are in transition....  And, if you did some google searches
> you'd find that there were/are differences between how interface names appear(ed) at
> various points depending on system architecture.  That seems to be your main "issue".
>
> All that aside....  If you have a system with a single interface you can always do....
>
> [egreshko at meimei test]$ /sbin/ifconfig | grep 'inet ' | grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d
> : -f 2 | awk '{ print $1}'
> 192.168.0.18

Ed:

With all due respect, its become clear to me that ifconfig is obsolete
and a solution which uses it doesn't have a future. Can you try to get
the ip address with command "ip" on a i686 and x86_64 system without
having to run a different command for each?

As for the "issue", I am still hoping someone can tell me that "ip addr
show" giving a different device for the static IP on x86_64 and i686 is
"not right" so I can bug it with confidence that I am not making a
mistake (or let me know that I am making a mistake ... with enough info
that I can confirm it is a pilot error)

Thanks,
Paul