Problem with Emacs

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:10:57 UTC 2012

Hello, Everyone
For quite a while now, Emacs has ceased being useable on our system.
For example, if I run "emacs .bashrc" in a terminal, Emacs starts up as
expected, but the file cannot be edited.  I can use the mouse to select
text in the portion of the file that is actually displayed in the
terminal, but I cannot move the cursor(?) or delete/add/change any text.
I have the following alias in ~/.bashrc that has worked perfectly for me
for quite a while:
alias emacs="unset DISPLAY && emacs"

If I just run "/usr/bin/emacs" from a terminal the graphical version of
Emacs opens the file file, and I can edit it as I wish.  I do NOT have
xemacs installed on this system.

So, the way this is working for me now, if I want to use Emacs in a
non-graphical console session, I am out of luck.  It does not make any
difference what user I am logged in as, the problem is the same.  Also,
here is the permissions on the file that I used earlier as my example:
-rw-r--r-- 1 steve steve 6.9K May 23 04:50 .bashrc

So, permissions do not seem to be an issue.

I am running Fedora 16, fully updated.  "yum list | grep -i emacs" shows
the following RPM's as being installed:

emacs.x86_64                 1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
emacs-common.x86_64          1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
emacs-filesystem.x86_64      1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
emacs-git.noarch             1.7.7.6-1.fc16     @updates
emacs-nox.x86_64             1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
xemacs-filesystem.noarch     21.5.31-2.fc16     @fedora

Also, I have not been able to find this issue on Google or at
bugzilla.redhat.com.

Thank you,
Steven P. Ulrick