Problem with Emacs

Steven Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:20:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 5:10 AM, Steven P. Ulrick <meow8282 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> For quite a while now, Emacs has ceased being useable on our system. For
> example, if I run "emacs .bashrc" in a terminal, Emacs starts up as
> expected, but the file cannot be edited.  I can use the mouse to select text
> in the portion of the file that is actually displayed in the terminal, but I
> cannot move the cursor(?) or delete/add/change any text.
> I have the following alias in ~/.bashrc that has worked perfectly for me for
> quite a while:
> alias emacs="unset DISPLAY && emacs"
>
> If I just run "/usr/bin/emacs" from a terminal the graphical version of
> Emacs opens the file file, and I can edit it as I wish.  I do NOT have
> xemacs installed on this system.
>
> So, the way this is working for me now, if I want to use Emacs in a
> non-graphical console session, I am out of luck.  It does not make any
> difference what user I am logged in as, the problem is the same.  Also, here
> is the permissions on the file that I used earlier as my example:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 steve steve 6.9K May 23 04:50 .bashrc
>
> So, permissions do not seem to be an issue.
>
> I am running Fedora 16, fully updated.  "yum list | grep -i emacs" shows the
> following RPM's as being installed:
>
> emacs.x86_64                 1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
> emacs-common.x86_64          1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
> emacs-filesystem.x86_64      1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
> emacs-git.noarch             1.7.7.6-1.fc16     @updates
> emacs-nox.x86_64             1:23.3-9.fc16      @updates
> xemacs-filesystem.noarch     21.5.31-2.fc16     @fedora
>
> Also, I have not been able to find this issue on Google or at
> bugzilla.redhat.com.

Almost forgot, when I start emacs, "ps aux | grep -i emacs" looks like this:

steve at localhost ~$ ps aux | grep -i emacs
steve     6607  101  0.1 260220 13468 pts/2    R+   05:16   0:39 emacs .bashrc

the first core of my quad core processor is maxed out, and if I "kill
6607" that core immediately goes back to normal...