uuidd fails to start

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 06:04:36 UTC 2012

Booting with every fc16 kernel, I always get this failure.
Boot.log shows
Failed to start LSB: UUID daemon                      FAILED
See 'systemctl status uuidd.service' for details.
# systemctl status uuidd.service
uuidd.service - LSB: UUID daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/uuidd)
       Active: failed since Tue, 29 May 2012 00:06:00 -0600
      Process: 1003 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/uuidd start (code=exited,
status=1/FAILURE)
       CGroup: name=systemd:/system/uuidd.service

So, I tried to start it manually:

# uuidd
Failed to open/create /var/run/uuidd/uuidd.pid: No such file or directory

Even if I create dir /var/run/uuidd and restart the system,
it fails the same way, because the dirs in /var/run get removed.
But I can start it manually, if I create the dir and invoke uuidd.
Of course, it does not survive a reboot.

Also, I searched the system for uuidd.service

# locate uuidd.service
#

# find /lib/systemd /etc/systemd -name uuidd.\*
#

So, where is this service file? Or is it created dynamically at boot time?

Googling for uuidd.service shows some early development mods containing
uuidd.service.in , but it is not in latest source code of
util-linux-2.20.1-2.3.fc16.src.rpm.

I anyone has a solution or a clue, please share.