uuidd fails to start

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 29 07:11:50 UTC 2012

On 05/29/2012 02:04 PM, JD wrote:
> Booting with every fc16 kernel, I always get this failure.
> Boot.log shows
> Failed to start LSB: UUID daemon                      FAILED
> See 'systemctl status uuidd.service' for details.
> # systemctl status uuidd.service
> uuidd.service - LSB: UUID daemon
>       Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/uuidd)
>       Active: failed since Tue, 29 May 2012 00:06:00 -0600
>      Process: 1003 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/uuidd start (code=exited,
> status=1/FAILURE)
>       CGroup: name=systemd:/system/uuidd.service
>
> So, I tried to start it manually:
>
> # uuidd
> Failed to open/create /var/run/uuidd/uuidd.pid: No such file or directory
>
> Even if I create dir /var/run/uuidd and restart the system,
> it fails the same way, because the dirs in /var/run get removed.
> But I can start it manually, if I create the dir and invoke uuidd.
> Of course, it does not survive a reboot.
>
> Also, I searched the system for uuidd.service
>
> # locate uuidd.service
> #
>
> # find /lib/systemd /etc/systemd -name uuidd.\*
> #
>
> So, where is this service file? Or is it created dynamically at boot time?
>
> Googling for uuidd.service shows some early development mods containing
> uuidd.service.in , but it is not in latest source code of
> util-linux-2.20.1-2.3.fc16.src.rpm.
>
> I anyone has a solution or a clue, please share.

First, file a bugzilla.

Second, uuidd is not a systemd component.  So, you won't find a service file.  You
will find a /etc/init.d/uuidd file.

Third, to work around the problem add the following to the beginning of the init script.

mkdir /var/run/uuidd
chown uuidd:uuidd /var/run/uuidd

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage