hdmi and sound to a tv on F16

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Mon Sep 3 20:36:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 08:53:50PM -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I thought I would take one more stab at asking for help getting my hdmi
> interface to work with sound.  Does anyone have any suggestions??

What does `alsamixer -c0 -Vall' and pavucontrol show you.  AFAIU, you
should be able to see the state of your hdmi device with the alsamixer
command and pavucontrol should let you choose the device as output.

GL

--
Suvayu

Suvayu,

Thank you for helping me.  Those were two interesting pieces of software.

Alsamixer -C0 -Vall results in :
 Card: HD-Audio Generic                                 F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: ATI R6xx HDMI                                    F2:  System information │
│ Item: S/PDIF                                           Esc: Exit               │
│

pavucontrol
also demonstrates that my hdmi is active.

I have tested the hdmi interface on the TV with my wifes laptop with MS
7, and it works fine.  As far as I can tell I have my laptop set to
deliver sound to the hdmi, but nothing is sent to the TV other than the
picture.

No Cigar yet,

Greg