hdmi and sound to a tv on F16

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 22:38:49 UTC 2012

Hi Greg,

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 03:36:52PM -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Alsamixer -C0 -Vall results in :
>  Card: HD-Audio Generic                                 F1:  Help               │
> │ Chip: ATI R6xx HDMI                                    F2:  System information │
> │ Item: S/PDIF                                           Esc: Exit               │

Disclaimer: I'm no expert. :)

This does not tell me much.  What I was interested in was if the cards
are detected properly and the volume levels are set appropriately.  If
you could run alsa-info and let it upload the output to the alsa website
and post back the link it might be helpful.  I believe the information
should be in the section "Soundcards recognised by ALSA".  The number
after the -c in the alsa mixer should be the number you see against your
HDMI device in this section.  After you have the n in -cn right, all
sound levels in the alsamixer command should be something larger 0.

> pavucontrol
> also demonstrates that my hdmi is active.

What profile did you choose in the configuration tab?  I think you need
to choose one of the "HDMI Output" ones.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu