MSMTP Problem [OT]

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Sep 9 12:42:29 UTC 2012

On 09/09/2012 08:14 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> Well I don't know exactly how msmtp works, but I can't find any
> reference in maillog to the test outgoing mails.
>
> Here's what I have in /etc/msmtprchttp (the configuration file
> accessible by apache which I refer to in php.ini:
> logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
> tls on
> tls_certcheck off
> tls_starttls off
> host smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
> from noreply at mydomain.org

Well....  msmtp is an SMTP client.

With your configuration you're sending the message to the SMTP server at smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for processing.  So, the logs of what then happened would be on that machine.  Which, I'm guessing, you don't have access to.

Basically, your message was sent out from your system.....but what happened to it is unknown.

You can test msmtp without using a configuration file by creating a "message" and then doing something like....

cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f you at whatever.com towho at someplace.com